A Travellerspoint blog

G'Day Australia :)

sunny 23 °C
View Cass & Lee's RTW trip! on Cass - Lee's travel map.

After a long and delayed flight from Singapore, with pretty much no sleep what so ever on board, we touched down in Melbourne. Even though we were pretty excited to be the furthest place we had ever been from home (11478 miles to be precise) we got to our hotel and after walking the streets for a while as we waited for our room to be ready, we crashed for 6hrs! So that was pretty much the end of day one in Oz, ooops!

The following day we decided to get our bearings a little and headed out into the city. We had a look around China town, and basically came to the conclusion that we were going to starve while in Melbourne, as our backpacker budget would only stretch to one meal a day – a bit different to the lavish lifestyle we were able to enjoy whilst in Asia! The following day we headed out to Brighton with our friend Barbara that we met whilst travelling China. We had a lovely walk back to the St Kilda with some great views of the city, and then headed to Barbara’s house for some dinner which was lovely. I decided to get my head stuck in a book listing all of the venomous creatures living in Australia, probably not the best idea I’ve ever had as it certainly didn’t help calm my nerves. Lee decided to head out into the shed to actually look for some of the most poisonous spiders possible, and was pretty impressed with himself when he returned with a picture of a Sydney Funnel Web. We then almost missed our last train home, we were clearly enjoying ourselves far too much and didn’t notice the time!

The following day we met up with Chloe and Clare who we met on our travel through Vietnam. They took us to St Kilda for a nice lunch and then we wandered along the pier. We headed back to their house for some dinner and good old Aussie wine (my favourite!) and got to meet their lovely pet pooch too :) We were told the tale of a recent visit by a Huntsman spider, though luckily he decided not to say hello to us which I was happy about. I really have been nothing but a nervous wreck since we arrived in Oz due to the fact that they have the most venomous spiders, which really does scare the living daylights out of me. Every time I see a web it sends shivers down my spine! :( I mean, I am a wally when I see a spider at home, but the fact that these guys would leave you within an inch of your life really doesn’t sit well with me. We did have fun stalking Jeffrey Rush’s home, and that of Dame Edna :) I must say though, it has been so wonderful to be able to meet such lovely people on our travels that have welcomed us into their homes in Oz. We just hope we can offer the same if they venture to England in the future :)

The following day we decided to head out on a two day trip along the Great Ocean Road. The first thing to mention was the fact that our tour leader was a nutter! She was very knowledgeable though spoke to us as though we were children! We got told off for talking, made to run laps around the bus if we were late (we both had to run 10 laps at one point), and told we would get no dinner if we didn’t chip in and help cook! I then got told off for not helping Lee cook for all of about 5 minutes while I put our camera away in our room and poured us both a glass of wine… the tyrant said she had been watching me out of the window!! We did get to cook and try Kangaroo meat which was really quite nice, rather beef like. It really didn’t feel as though we had paid $400 for the trip, it was more like we were being governed by teachers on a school trip! We did have an older Geordie couple on the trip that really did give the tour leader a run for her money, and gave her what for a few times! That said though, it was a great trip. We got to see the 12 Apostles, or should I say 8 as that is all that are left standing. We then saw the Two Sisters. We visited a rainforest and took a little walk around, again Lee was on the lookout for spiders… uuurrrgghh. We headed to a lighthouse which was featured in the program ‘Round the Twist’. We visited Bells Beach and watched the surfers, and went koala spotting in their natural habitat.

We stayed overnight in a place called Lorne which was a nice little place. What we hadn’t realised when we booked the trip was that the accommodation was in single sex dormitories, and so us having one bag with all of our stuff in wasn’t really ideal as we were separated. I had a bit of a panic before we headed to bed as my dorm was in darkness and most people were already asleep, and I had really wanted the chance to be able to check my room for critters. I was not happy. After a hissy fit which lasted about half an hour I finally decided to head into my dorm when I discovered a window open right next to my bed which made me sure there would be spiders in the room! I crawled into my bed and had the worst nights sleep ever… and barely moved all night. Really thinking that these spider countries are just not for me. One highlight of the stay however was being able to feed some Yellow Tipped Cockatiels at the place we stayed. They were so noisy and there were so many of them!

The following day we had a nice breakfast before getting back on the road and headed to a wildlife park. There we were able to hand feed wallabies and kangaroo’s which we really enjoyed, they were so gentle. Lee also plucked up the courage to feed an Emu… rather him than me as they were vicious! While I was deciding if I was able to get my hand close to the crazy Emu’s without losing my fingers, the rather feisty one of the bunch decided to try and take a chunk out of Lee’s arm! :) We also saw many native animals, Dingo’s, Koalas, Wombats, Tasmanian Devils, Echidnas and a Kookaburra. During the drive we got to see Wallabies and Kangaroo’s in the wild which was nice. We took a ferry ride and headed towards Philip Island. We saw the Grand Prix track and visited a chocolate factory and of course I couldn’t leave empty handed. We then went to watch the Penguin Parade. This is where over a thousand little penguins come in from the sea every night after a day of fishing, and make their way back to their homes in the grassy mounds. After we saw them appear from the water and head towards their homes we were able to head up the boardwalk and actually follow some of them to their homes, they were adorable! You could hear them calling out to one another, it was lovely. They only stand 33cms high, they are the world’s smallest penguin breed. We then made our way back to Melbourne, very tired and happy from a very fun packed couple of days. The photos that we have taken along the Great Ocean Road really are like something you would see in a magazine, such incredible sights.

We had planned to see more of the city on our last day though we were so tired from our trip we ended up sleeping in pretty late. So we went for a little wander around the Botanical Gardens before heading to see some friends again who we had a lovely dinner with and stayed overnight with too. The following morning after a special breakfast of ‘English’ muffins we headed to the airport. My last memory of Melbourne will probably stay with me for a long time. On boarding our flight, there in front of me was a man trying to get his bag in the overhead locker with his trousers round his ankles. Yep, not quite what I expected! He looked directly at me and in a full on Aussie accent he said ‘Ah sh*t, me pants fell down!’… keeping a straight face was probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do HAHAHA :)

Posted by Cass - Lee 17:10 Archived in Australia Comments (0)

Bidding Asia farewell

rain 28 °C
View Cass & Lee's RTW trip! on Cass - Lee's travel map.

Kuala Lumpur – what a lovely city! We’re not really that into cities, prefer peace and quiet to be honest, not sure if it means we are getting old or just used to village life!? But that said, we really quite liked Kuala Lumpur. Just as we had experienced in the rest of Malaysia, the people were ever so helpful and friendly. During our time in KL, we went shopping, oh my god I wish I’d had a spare suitcase tucked away somewhere as the shopping centres were out of this world. They had about 6-7 floors in general, and every brand you could think of. Lee was in his element as there was a shopping centre dedicated to just electrical items, and one whole level just for camera stuff – it was like all his Christmas’s had come at once :) He is now banned from buying any more camera equipment as otherwise we’ll be sleeping on the street when we get home as we won’t be able to afford the mortgage ;)

We took a wander to see the Petronas Towers at night, which were pretty remarkable. Though unfortunately for us the heavens decided to open on the way. Luckily enough we were armed with our trusty bright yellow and red poncho’s, and feeling pretty smug looking at all the drenched people we put them on. We soon became the highlight of peoples days as anyone that spotted us found our outfits highly amusing :) We’ve definitely gotten into the travelling way of thinking though as we don’t really care what we look like anymore, if it’s practical, it works for us! I sometimes look like a jumble sale has thrown up on me, but who cares, as my mum would have said, it’s not a fashion parade haha :)

The following day we took a wander to China Town and had some… (drum roll please) noodles and rice. We headed to see the Petronas Towers in the day and took a wander to a large lake and park. There was a little enclosure which had a Biawak amongst other creatures wandering around and a section full of lots of Deer. A mother and baby had managed to escape the enclosure and were wandering around outside, with a Stag that seemed to be standing on guard watching our every move! We decided to make a swift departure, and then the heavens opened, again. On went the trusty poncho’s and off we went, again being the highlight of peoples days :)

Our next stop was Singapore, well after a 5hr bus ride that is. What a place, we felt so spoilt and were so glad to see a friendly face. We stayed with a family friend, John, whom I have known pretty much my whole life, and were made to feel so very welcome by him and his lovely partner Dindin. We enjoyed the most lovely dinner of fresh fish and crab, and were shown around the city. It was such a great end to such a wonderful tour of Asia.

Saying goodbye to Asia makes me feel really sad. It has been such a wonderful experience and we have thoroughly enjoyed getting involved in the culture and seeing daily life so many miles from home. We’ve found each country we have visited so interesting, yet so different from one another. We’ve seen such extremes from devastating poverty through to glitzy cities, all of which have quite literally taken our breath away. The memories we have made are something you could not get from reading a book or watching a documentary, they are real. I think travelling so far has been an experience which is quite humbling and has made us truly appreciate what we have and how fortunate we really are.

Posted by Cass - Lee 21:33 Archived in Singapore Comments (0)

Pulau Pangkor… Paradise itself

sunny 32 °C
View Cass & Lee's RTW trip! on Cass - Lee's travel map.

Public transport in Malaysia… oh my god, the words half cooked sardines springs to mind! The drive we had to go through to get to Lumut to catch our ferry to Pulau Pangkor, our next beach hideaway, was certainly a test of endurance to say the least! Hot, sweaty buses, crammed to the brim with people, it really was a bit noisy, crazy, and just flippin uncomfortable. I think the whole bus could have done with a visit from the deodorant fairy. But hey ho, we got to the ferry port and the ferry was just boarding, so great timing.

On arrival in Pulau Pangkor we could see that the island was just perfect, nice and basic and not a real glitzy all singing all dancing kind of place, just what we wanted. We found a great place to stay which certainly exceeded our expectations, and even had a pool, yippee! We headed out for a look around and then dinner, and found there was not an English menu in sight, so we settled for noodles and rice for dinner, felt like a change ;) We returned to our room to be greeted by a frog on our balcony. Our wake up call was arranged by lots of Hornbills making a racket outside our room god are they noisy! The following day we decided to make the most of the pool, and spent most of the day there, only to leave to catch the sunset on the beach which was nice. We also found a swing on the beach and thought it would be a nice photo opportunity. Lee took a photo of me, and just as I turned my back for all of about two seconds about to take a photo of him, he had climbed the ropes like a monkey and there he was headed to the top of the tree it was attached too!

The next day we decided to hire a taxi to take us around the island. The island has one road which circles around the waterfront, and is only 20kms in length, pretty small. We got taken to a Chinese temple, and can say we have now seen two ‘Great Walls’ on our trip, this one however was only about two feet tall. There were some HUGE fish swimming around in a pond there, when I say huge, we’re talking 100lb fish here, and about 6-8ft in length! They were supposedly from China. There was also a pit full of turtles, bit odd. Our chauffeur for the day they took us to a Dutch fort which was built in 1670. After that we headed to Tiger rock, this had markings on it from the 1700’s. We got taken past the airport, probably the smallest airport I have ever seen, and can only accommodate very small aircraft. We also got to see boats being made, big ones. Our taxi man told they cost the equivalent of £100k, seems a bit pricey for a boat! The island seemed to be speckled with lots of hotels and bungalows that have had to close due to lack of trade, as they are not close enough to the beach. The island apparently has plans to encourage more tourism over a 15yr period, but we prefer it just as it is, unspoilt :) The island was teeming with all sorts of wildlife, as well as the rather noisy hornbills and Sea Eagles, we were lucky enough to spot a Biawak (cousin of the Komodo Dragon) which Lee literally stalked down the beach to get a pic! We didn’t get to see the white Monkeys, or the King Cobra’s or Pythons… though I’m not really that disappointed with the latter haha :) We did however get to see a random goat on a daily basis, sometimes on a lead, sometimes just wandering around near the beach or the restaurants. We got to experience the Monsoon season in full swing, we had never seen a storm like it! The rain came with such force and volume we thought the place may be flooded by morning. The sheet lightning was non-stop, with the odd fork here and there, and the thunder claps were incredible! We could hear things being blown down the road, pots and plants being knocked over and broken in our hotel complex. The frogs and toads were loving it though and making a right old racket. By the morning, it was like nothing had happened, the weather was beautiful! So we headed to the beach to spend the day admiring the absolutely stunning views over the beautifully clear sea and lush neighbouring islands. That’s a view we won’t forget in a long while. I then had a bit of a ‘told-ya-so’ moment when we spotted a massive Box Jellyfish in the shallow waters, which confirmed why I wasn’t overly keen with going in the sea again, especially as I wasn’t armed with my bottle of vinegar! Late that evening we were then visited back at our room by a lizard running around inside and a giant millipede on our balcony.

I actually had a feeling of sadness in the pit of my stomach as we left the island, it really was bliss there. Will just have to look forward to heading there again one day in the future. Maybe I should concentrate on finding a job before I start planning our next holiday… no need to worry about that just yet though ;)

Now on route to Kuala Lumpur for a couple of days, mainly so Lee can spend another small fortune on more camera stuff… all worth it though as the pictures he captures are something we will cherish for many years to come :)

Posted by Cass - Lee 22:25 Archived in Malaysia Comments (0)

Highlight of Malaysia so far... the highlands

semi-overcast 21 °C
View Cass & Lee's RTW trip! on Cass - Lee's travel map.

Our drive to the highlands was somewhat bumpy to say the least… I think the driver was in a rush! We realised what a small world it really is when we found out one of the girls on our bus was from Potters Bar  We took a liking to the Cameron Highlands from first sight and especially the little town we chose to stay in called Tanah Rata. The place itself was very welcoming and the people were lovely. We headed out for a wander to get our bearings and get some food, and most of all get some trips booked for the following days. We found a great place to eat called Yong Teng Café, belonging to a deaf and dumb couple. Their food was fantastic and they were absolutely adorable, we found ourselves back there pretty much every day! I do feel the need to add that we fell of the wagon yet again though… and found ourselves at a burger van that evening. No I am not proud of myself… but really the novelty of noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner is wearing a bit thin now! :)

The Cameron Highlands are the backbone of Peninsula Malaysia, called the Titiwangsa mountain range. There was a lot to do here like day trips and all sorts of walks of varying difficulty through the jungle. The following day we headed out with a full itinerary planned for us, and a really knowledgeable guide who was fantastic. The day started with a taste of home, scones and jam for breakfast! We then drove to a tea plantation, which was really pretty. We learnt that tea leaves are no longer hand picked, this is due to no one wanting to do the job. Instead the tea leaves are chopped using shears with a collecting bucket, which they then use to fling the tea leaves into the basket on their backs. We then drove in a jeep up to the highest point in the Cameron Highlands accessible by road, Brinchang. Unfortunately the views weren’t as good as they can be due to some mist, but I still got to test my fear of heights by climbing the viewing tower, yep the fear is definitely still there :) We then headed to the Mossy Forest. Malaysia claims to have the oldest rainforest in the world, and our guide made sure we were in agreement by explaining why, which was in fact really interesting even though we are really not very green fingered. He guided us on a walk through the forest and we got to see some really interesting plant life. This place was like something out of Avatar and really did look like it could have been a film set, such a mystical place. We then headed to a tea factory and saw tea being processed from the freshly picked leaves to the stuff we see in the shops today. They don’t in fact export their tea as they don’t even manage to make enough for themselves, so they keep their mitts on it! We got to try some ice tea, and then a good old traditional cuppa before being taken to a butterfly and insect farm. Some of the butterflies were so beautiful with such vibrant colours, and they were huge! The insect part, my ‘favourite’ bit… consisted of the usual critters. We saw scorpions, giant beetles, bird eating spiders (they were bigger than the ones we saw in the wild in Thailand) and tarantulas, amongst many other weird and wonderful insects. We then popped for some lunch, noodles and rice for a change, before being taken to the strawberry farm. Even though we were feeling pretty stuffed from lunch, we still managed to demolish a bowl of fresh strawberries and cream, oooh they were lovely! Next stop was a traditional market, then a step back in time with a museum called the Time Tunnel, which was a collection of memorabilia over the years, there were certainly some blasts from the past in there :) Our final stop for the day was at a Buddhist Temple where we saw monks chanting and praying which was something we hadn’t been lucky enough to see so far. Overall a really fantastic day!

The following day we were planning to go and see the Rafflesia, the world’s largest flower, as they are known to bloom in the Cameron Highlands. Unfortunately we had a knock on our door bright and early that morning to say the flowers had died. They take months to bloom, and there is no telling where they will appear, and then the flowers die after 5-7 days which is a real shame. So instead, we went off on one of the trekking routes around the highlands. After just a few minutes Lee spotted quite a large gecko. We carried on and came across Parit waterfall. Not the best one we’ve ever seen, it kind of resembled a scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with the chocolate river. We did find out that the word Parit translates to the word drain… hmm that could explain the chocolate waterfall, yummy. By the end of the jungle walk we then had a 3km walk back to the town which was still nice. On the way we went past the Old Smoke House. It looks like a very traditional old English building, it’s so pretty. In fact there is a real feel of England here in general.

On our last day here, we decided to head out on another couple of jungle treks. On our first walk we saw another gecko. Then just as we were heading to the second walk we could see something rustling in a bin, thinking it could be something really interesting we approached… only to find it was a cat, not the big orange stripy kind, just the one that curls up on your lap. Full of disappointment, on we went and within just a few minutes we saw a snake slither off just in front of us. I then decided I didn’t want to go any further and meet any more of Sammy snakes friends, so we did a u-turn! Instead we did a walk along a track leading us back to the town which also went through the jungle and is an alternative to the main road, though seems pretty unused. Still not feeling completely walked out, we decided to head along another path leading us to another waterfall, Robinson Falls. It was much bigger than we expected, quite impressive actually! We ended up carrying on a bit further, following the trail and soon spotted a huge millipede followed by another snake. Again, due to my wimpiness I quickly did a U-turn and left Lee taking the photos, haha :) We then spotted another gecko and got chatting to a local on our way out the jungle who shared some really interesting information about the area.

I’m actually feeling a bit sad to leave the Highlands as they really are beautiful, and you just don’t seem to get bored wandering around and heading into the jungle to see what you can find. We’re now off to an island, Pulau Pangkor which seems to be the less ‘touristy’ island, and one more favoured by the locals. There seems to be quite a variety of wildlife awaiting us, let’s just hope we get to see some of them! :)

Posted by Cass - Lee 17:17 Archived in Malaysia Comments (0)

Our jungle hideaway…

all seasons in one day 32 °C
View Cass & Lee's RTW trip! on Cass - Lee's travel map.

After getting up at silly o’clock to catch our flight, we came across a familiar face in the airport. We soon realised it was the naked Speedo man that walked into our room in Koh Lanta! We boarded our flight to Kuala Lumpur, and on arrival it already seemed pretty easy to get around. Before we knew it we were on a bus bound for the city itself in hope that we would be able to get a bus to the jungle, Taman Negara. The bus however felt more like being on a boat, than a real boat actually feels! You could imagine it tipping over round every bend. We were then dropped off at a station and ended up in a taxi to another station, where we had to wait for a bus to a town called Jerantut which is pretty much a gateway to the jungle. While waiting we decided to grab something to eat as our journey had made us work up a bit of an appetite… we ordered chicken and rice (though I’m still not convinced it was chicken we were served, it did taste chickeny, but I have a feeling it was something else, eww!)

We finally made it to Jerantut and decided not to carry on our travels to the jungle until the following day, and instead found a little hotel to camp out for the night. We went for a wander around the town and fell off the wagon yet again and ended up in Pizza Hut, tut tut! The following morning, feeling a little more refreshed, we headed off on yet another bus journey to get to the jetty in Kuala Tembling, and on the way we saw a dead dog lying in the middle of the road, not nice. Once there, we boarded a boat bound for Taman Negara… and I was not particularly looking forward to the 3hr journey along the river Tembling, upstream, in a rickety wooden boat! It was in fact a really nice and relaxing journey and the scenery was fantastic :) Once we arrived in Kuala Tahan which was a little village and our home for the following few days while we explored the jungle, we had the usual mission of finding accommodation. The first place we came across was a little place overlooking the river, but after spotting about 5 spiders nests while hovering in the doorway I ensured we carried on looking! However, trying to climb up slippery muddy hills in over 70% humidity, wearing flip flops, and carrying a backpack filled with 20kgs of crap on your back is not fun, I can tell you. We did find a relatively spider free room though, and settled in nicely :) Lee then decided it was time to rid some baggage… and before I knew it, it was like his backpack had thrown up on the floor! We headed out to have a nose around the village and grabbed some much needed lunch, and there was not a pizza hut in sight, so we settled for one of the few floating restaurants. On our journey back to our guesthouse, we went the long way, and just as we were approaching our room I saw something squashed in the road… a scorpion… just what you want wandering around outside your room! Lee had bought a new torch which he decided to have a play with. After trying it a few times he realised it just wasn’t going to work, and we would have to take it back to the little shop in the village that we had bought it from. So that we did… only to be shown by the shop keeper that Lee had put the battery holder in the wrong way round. We headed out for some dinner and I’m not very proud to report that we fell off the wagon again, and both opted for burger and chips. Maybe as a form of karma I then got bombarded by cockroaches the size of kinder eggs, one of which jabbed me in the ribs causing me to scream in the restaurant! Another then landed on my leg, and Lee started getting attacked, so we decided to head back to our room.

The following day we headed out on a trip for the day. First stop, the Canopy Walk Way, a 45 meter high, 510 meter long sequence of suspended rope bridges and tree platforms. Certainly not for the faint hearted, or those afraid of heights… that would be me then. After a queue to get on the thing, we began. We had to leave 5-10 meters between each person, and had to make sure there were no more than 4 people on each tree platform at one time. By the second walkway I was feeling a bit shaky but carried on, then got to the point where I was getting to each tree platform feeling really dizzy, I didn’t have to crawl though which I’ve been known to do before! Then came my favourite part of the day where I was halfway across a walkway and noticed there were 5 people on the tree platform ahead. If I turned back I would just clog up the platform behind which had a steady stream of people heading to it… so I was stuck, suspended in the air for the best part of 10 minutes, not ideal! All ended well though and we made it back down to the ground in one piece :) Then for the jungle walk to Teresek Hill, which was fun, as well as tiring and sweaty in the heat and humidity! The viewpoint we reached with views across the vast jungle were pretty special though. Maybe the thing that made it so special was a little guy from Hong Kong serenading us with a yodelling song… yep yodelling. We then headed back to the village where we had lunch and then collapsed on our bed in air con bliss :)

The following day we headed out by boat to a tribal village. On the way we saw a cheeky monkey taking a short cut to the jungle by climbing along the power lines! The Orang Asli people are known as the ‘original people’ and showed us how they kill animals using a blow pipe with normal darts and those dipped in poison from a tree. Lee then took a go at shooting a stuffed bear, and got it straight in the neck! I think I’ll have to send him out hunting when we get home, it’ll save us a fortune in Tesco’s! We were then shown how to start a fire from scratch. They had a very nifty little contraption which was really effective and after around a minute there were flames. We learnt that the Orang Asli tribes live in camps of about 5 families consisting of 2 parents and around 8 children. They live in the jungle and hunt for their food, and survive solely on what they can obtain from the jungle. The chief of the tribe is given the responsibility of Medicine Man and his wife is automatically the Medicine Woman, responsible for the health of the tribe. They never go to a hospital, even for childbirth. We were told that during pregnancy, if the baby becomes breech, or moves to a position where it would need caesarean, they manually push the baby into the correct position! They move and make camp elsewhere for only two reasons, if there is a death in the tribe, or if food becomes difficult to find and they have to walk 15kms every day to live. From what we saw, they really do live a very simple life and don’t really have much regard for money, as it is not something they really need. However, they do now make some money themselves nowadays by selling sandalwood and rattan. Some of the tribes do originate from Papua New Guinea, and with that in mind I did wonder if we were becoming their next meal when we appeared to be stranded, awaiting collection by a boat which was nowhere to be seen!

On our last evening in the jungle, we headed out in a 4x4 on night safari. First of all we had to dodge the million MASSIVE bugs which were flying around like loonies on our way to the jeep. It was an open air jeep, more like a truck, and there didn’t seem to be enough seats there for the 11 of us. Lee and one other lady volunteered to sit on the roof! Trust my hubby to put his hand up for that one! Off we headed towards a palm oil plantation. We spotted some birds which weren’t phased by us at all and just sat as they were when we arrived. We then spotted a leopard cat, gorgeous looking animal, but they stay small, unlike their name suggests. We spotted another cat like animal, followed by a snake curled up in the bushes. It was apparently a ‘medium’ venomous snake, not sure whether that means it would kill you with a bite, either way I was glad to be sat in a 4x4 able to make a sharp exit if needed! We spotted some more birds, and then started making our way back to civilisation. It was then that the heavens opened, and when I say opened, I’m talking bucketing it down. It made us realise why it’s called a rainforest, lets put it that way! Lee, being sat on top, took the brunt of it, I was more worried about the £600 worth of camera equipment he had around his neck! Once back to the village, Lee was drenched, and we put on our Thorpe Park style ponchos as we walked back to our accommodation.

The rain continued throughout the night and just seemed to get heavier and heavier. The following morning, we got packed up and ready to leave and headed for some breakfast down at the floating restaurants. Once we got in full view of the river, we could see the extent of the volume of water that had fallen the previous night. There was only half a jetty, no car park as it was flooded, and some of the floating restaurants had floated off to the other side of the river! We couldn’t get to many of the restaurants as the planks of wood they provide to get across the water were submerged! Instead we settled for a restaurant more local and then headed to catch our bus.

Now off to cooler climes in the Cameron Highlands :)

Posted by Cass - Lee 18:36 Archived in Malaysia Comments (0)

(Entries 11 - 15 of 34) « Page 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »